• Whin Global

Nonresident Aliens: Federal tax withholding from 401(k) and annuity payments

Updated: Mar 19

Nonresident aliens (NRA) may be subject to tax on their US source income. Payments from U.S. retirement plans such as tax deferred 401(k) plans made to foreign nationals are subject to US income tax withholding unless exempted. But, then most nonresident aliens want to know how to cash their 401(k) and minimize the higher 30% tax rate? The below discussion is not for Roth 401(k) plans, but traditional and tax deferred 401(k) plans. We are also not discussing the foreign country domestic tax regulations with regard to the 401(k) distributions.

How did a foreign national end up with a 401(k) account?

For U.S. tax purpose and under the internal revenue service, a nonresident alien is a foreign national individual who is not a tax resident. A tax resident is generally a person who is a US citizen, green card holder or a resident per the substantial presence test (SPT) as defined under IRC § 301.7701(b)-1. A foreign national may elect a treaty article to override the SPT test to be treaty as a nonresident alien.

Most often, foreign nationals come to the US on assignment or on local contracts for a few years before they return to their home countries. While on work visa, foreign nationals become US tax residents due to their substantial presence in the US or by obtaining a permanent resident card, known as green card. Therefore, they are subject to tax on their worldwide income while working and living in the US. While living in the US and working for US employers, a foreign national becomes eligible and may contribute to tax-deferred retirement plan, under title 26, IRC section 401. With little knowledge or without any future plan, the foreign individual may decide to contribute to a US retirement plan to benefit from the tax deferred feature and be subject to tax on a lower taxable earned income at both the federal and state (if applicable) levels. That sounds good to pay less tax while saving for the future, specially if the individual is unsure about where they will retire.

Withdrawals of money from 401(k) retirement plans

Money in retirement accounts

Similar to all participants, tax resident aliens are subject to the rules of contribution to and distribution from the plans. Therefore, they cannot take out money from the plans prior to being eligible without paying federal tax and early withdrawal penalty unless exemptions apply. Generally, normal distribution starts at age of 59 ½ without the 10% early distribution penalty.

What are nonresidents alien options with regard to my 401(k) while I am in a foreign country?

Am I required to take the money out? Should I withdraw it? What are my options?

You are generally in control as long as the plan is not obligated to distribute the vested money to you when you separated from the U.S. employer. Therefore, you can either withdraw or leave it. Normal distribution starts at 591/2. Prior to that age date, withdrawal is considered early and 10% early penalty applies unless exempted. If you want to rollover the distributions, it must be deposited to another qualified U.S. retirement plans, otherwise, tax and penalty applies.

How are distribution from 401(k) taxed if the recipient is a nonresident alien?

After a foreign national returns to his or her home country, he or she may want to take some or all of the money he or she has stashed in a 401(k)-retirement account.

401(k) plan are U.S. tax deferred retirement plans. Payments from these plans to nonresident aliens are subject to 30% federal tax withholding under the internal revenue code section 1441(a). The 30% withholding is required unless documentation exist and the recipients can show they are U.S. persons or nonresident aliens that live in a country that has a tax treaty with the United States. In addition, an article within the tax treaty must provide a lower tax rate or a priority taxation to the current residence country (which is obviously the foreign country), not the US since there are not resident anymore for tax purpose). The required documentation includes form W-9 and Form W-8BEN. If no documentation exists, then the presumption rules may apply under the US treasury regulation section 1441-1(b)(3)(iii)(C).

Throughout the year, we receive inquiries about how to cash out a 401(k) and how to minimize the US income tax withheld from the cash received.

What is the process of cashing out a 401(k)?

A U.S. form W-8BEN must be filled out and provided to the withholding agent in order to benefit from a lower tax treaty rate, if one exists. The tax treaty article number and the withholding rate must be included to claim the treaty benefit upfront. The withholding agent may be required to issue you an IRS Form 1042-S to report the payment and tax withholding to the internal revenue service.

Filling out IRS forms

Am I required to file a tax return or not?

If you pay more than you should have, then you can request a refund by filling out and submitting IRS form 1040NR. If you are correctly withheld, then a tax return may not be required unless you have other US tax reporting obligations.

Do I need an ITIN or SSN?

If you do not have a US social security number, you may need to apply for an ITIN to receive a tax refund, if applicable.

If you take a early distribution before you turn 59 ½, you may be subject to an early withdrawal penalty of 10%.

How can Whin Global help?

If you have questions or need assistance with the process, contact us at info@whinglobal.com or fill out this contact form.

Retirement savings


What do our Customers say? 

  • Like our Facebook page
  • follow us on Twitter
  • Follow our LinkedIn Page
  • Follow us on Instagram

©2020 by WhinGlobal